You know this thing about sheep's right? One sheep does something, the rest will follow. So if someone wants to gain control over all the sheep's, all they gotta do is handle one. That's how the farmers handle their cattle.
There would have been this one overly smart human being who used this trick in us humans. Don't we follow one person? Its the sheep system all over again (The Human Sheep system, lets call it), except for the fact that we start following that one person who has been successful by choosing that path in life. "Successful". "Hey look, that guy became and engineer and now he has so much money. He's living a good life. Let's all become engineers and if I don't become an engineer, my son (and in some cases my daughter too) will make me proud. If he doesn't wanna be an engineer, I'll be a good daddy and kick him out of my house." LOL. No that doesn't happen in my house but a few of my friends keep telling me stories like these. I pity them. My dad told me to choose what I want to do in life and once I've chosen what I wanna do, he asked me to live and die for it. Nope, I haven't done that. I want to, I really do. I hope one day I'd be that dedicated and actually live and die for whatever I'm working at.
Getting back, its easy for people to use you if you're blindly following someone. Your main protection, your firewall, your senses aren't with you. You're following the same path one man once did. He might have been successful initially and then fallen into a pit or something. Hell, even if he was successful throughout his life, it doesn't mean you will be too. People should realise this and life by themselves. Take tips, advices etc but stop tracing their paths. I'm not saying don't be a doctor because you're tracing the path of someone else, I'm saying don't be a doctor because you want to trace someone's path. Hope it makes sense.
Oh and please don't mind it when I use engineering as an example in so many posts. Its just because all I hear these days is ENGINEERING. Even 5 year old kids talk about engineering these days.